If you think you or a loved one is having a heart attack or stroke—call 911 immediately.
Code Heart Program
Immediate, effective and skilled care is needed for patients who are experiencing a heart attack. At CarePoint Health, heart attack patients are immediately rushed to our cardiac catheterization lab. Blocked coronary arteries are opened—using an angioplasty procedure and/or stent placement—restoring vital blood and oxygen to the heart. The quicker these procedures can be administered, the better. If the blocked vessel is recognized and treated quickly enough, damage to the heart muscle can be prevented. Learn more about Heart and Vascular Care at CarePoint Health.
The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services has certified our three hospitals—Bayonne Medical Center, Christ Hospital and Hoboken University Medical Center—as Primary Stroke Centers. When a stroke patient arrives at any of our stroke centers, our specially trained stroke team immediately performs a comprehensive evaluation. The course of treatment is often determined by how quickly a patient can get to the hospital. Some stroke patients can be treated with thrombolytic medication (clot buster) that may reverse some of the signs and symptoms of stroke. Available treatments include:
- Neurological evaluation to determine the severity of your stroke symptoms
- CT Scan and/or MRI
- Specialized laboratory tests
- Thrombolytic, clot-busting medicine (Alteplase, t-PA) after extensive evaluation of your eligibility
- Consultation with a neurologist, cardiologist, stroke program coordinator and other specialists
- Swallow screen administered by a specially trained RN and/or swallow evaluation administered by a speech and language pathologist
- Physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy
- Stroke prevention education
- Cardiac monitoring
- Case management discharge planning
Depending on the severity of the stroke, the patient may be admitted to our telemetry or critical care/intensive care unit or transferred to another health care facility. Learn more about Neurological and Stroke Care at CarePoint Health.