CAREPOINT HEALTH MEDICAL GROUP PHYSICIAN PROFILE
ABOUT Salem, Suhail MD
Dr. Suhail B. Salem earned his medical degree from McGill University in Montreal, Canada. He is board certified in Gastroenterology and Hepatology as well as Internal Medicine. Dr. Salem completed his residency in internal medicine, including serving a year as Chief Resident, at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL. He also completed his gastroenterology and hepatology fellowship at Rush University Medical Center, where he received awards for “Fellow of the Year” and excellence in gastrointestinal endoscopy, while also participating in research presented at national meetings.
Dr. Salem completed a subsequent fellowship in advanced endoscopy at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City, where he acquired specialized training in Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS), complex biliary and pancreatic endoscopy (ERCP), endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR), luminal stenting as well as other advanced endoscopic procedures.
Dr. Salem’s clinical practice focuses on using advanced endoscopic techniques in the diagnosis and management of gastrointestinal diseases, including biliary and pancreatic disorders, such as gallstones, biliary strictures, and pancreatitis, as well as pre-malignant and malignant conditions, including colon polyps, Barrett’s esophagus, pancreas cysts, and pancreatic cancer.
- Street Address: 330 Grand Street
- City: Hoboken
- State: NJ
- Postal Code: 07030
- Phone Number: (201) 420-7903
- Fax Number: (201) 420-7586
- McGill University, Faculty of Medicine
- Internal Medicine, Rush University Medical Center
- Chief Resident, Internal Medicine, Rush University Medical Center
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology Fellowship, Rush University Medical Center
- Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
AWARDS and/or RECOGNITION(s)
PROFESSIONAL AREAS OF INTEREST
Procedures: Upper endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Endoscopic ultrasound +/- Fine needle aspiration, ERCP, Spy glass, Endoscopic mucosal resection, Enteral stent placement, Endoscopic cystgastrostomy, Percutaneous gastrostomy tube placement (PEG)/feeding tube placement
Diseases of interest: Choledocholithiais, Cholelithiasis, Biliary strictures, Pancreatitis, Pancreatic Pseudocysts, Walled off pancreatic necrosis, Pancreatic cysts, Pancreatic cancer, GERD, Barrett's esophagus, Esophageal stricture, Esophageal cancer, Colon cancer screening, Colon polyps, Colon cancer, Carcinoid, Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (GIST), Gastric cancer
- Salem, Suhail B.; Gerdes, Hans; Scahttner, Mark. Endoscopic ultrasound of the pancreas and biliary tract. Blumgart's Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract and Pancreas, 6th Edition. (Publication pending)
- Shahdabul Faraz, B.S., Suhail B. Salem, M.D., Hans Gerdes, M.D., Mark Schattner, M.D., Robin Mendelsohn, M.D., Arnold Markowitz, M.D., Emmy Ludwig, M.D., Junting Zheng, M.S., and Pari Shah, M.D. Predictors of clinical outcome in patients with malignant large bowel obstruction due to extracolonic malignancy. Poster Presentation: ACG Annual Scientific Meeting; October, 2015. Honolulu, HI.
- Salem, Suhail B.; Aadam, Abdul Aziz; Shapiro, David M. Anuerysm of the Portal Vein Confluence. Salem, S. B., Aadam, A. A. and Shapiro, D. M. Digestive Endoscopy. doi: 10.1111/den.12341. 2014
- Salem, Suhail B.; Baxi, Pravir; Singh, Shubha; Kim, Jisu; Swanson, Garth. “Low Risk” Blatchford and AIMS65 Scores do not Identify Patients who can be Discharged from the Emergency Department. Poster Presentation: ACG Annual Scientific Meeting; Oct 11-‐16, 2013, San Diego, CA. Manuscript in writing.
- Salem, Suhail B.; Baxi, Pravir; Demeo, Mark T. Severe Hypertriglyceridemic Acute Pancreatitis Treated with Intravenous Insulin and Apheresis. Poster Presentation: ACG Annual Scientific Meeting; Oct 11-‐16, 2013. San Diego, CA.
- Gor, Niraj; Salem, Suhail B.; Patel, Rikin; Patil, Abhitabh; Shah, Nikunj; Jakate, Shriram. Histological adequacy of Endoscopic Ultrasound guided liver biopsy using a 19 gauge non Tru cut FNA needle. Gastrointest Endosc. 2013 Jul 31.
- Baxi, Pravir; Salem, Suhail B.; Eswaran, Sheila; Shah, Nikunj. A case of reactivation Hepatitis B eight months after receiving Rituximab. Poster Presentation: ACG Annual Scientific Meeting; Oct 19-‐24, 2012; Las Vegas, Nevada. Poster Presentation: AASLD Emerging Trends Conference; March 21-‐22, 2013; Arlington, VA.
- Singh, Shubha; Salem, Suhail B.; Bruninga, Keith. A case of CMV colitis in an immunocompetent host complicated by relapsing C. difficile colitis. Poster Presentation: ACG Annual Scientific Meeting; Oct 19-‐24, 2012; Las Vegas, NV.
- Ahn, Joseph; Salem, Suhail B.; Cohen, Stanley M. Evaluation and Management of Hepatitis B in Pregnancy: A Survey of Current Practices. Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010 September; 6(9):570-‐578.
- Salem, Suhail B.; Kushner, Yael; Marcus, Victoria; Mayrand, Serge; Fallone, Carlo A.; Barkun, Alan N. The Potential Impact of Contemporary Developments in the mangement of patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease undergoing an initial gastroscopy. Can J Gastroenterol. 2009 Feb;23(2):99-‐104.
- Salem, Suhail B.; Lateef, Omar; Ahn, Joseph; Cohen, Stanely M.; Van Thiel, David. A case of Shy Drager syndrome in a patient following orthotopic liver transplantation. Poster Presentation: ACG Annual Scientific Meeting; October 3-‐8, 2008; Orlando, FL.
- Desai, Niraj; Salem, Suhail B. Diabetes and Carnitine Palmitoyltransferase II Deficiency. Poster Presentation: ACP Illinois Chapter Annual Scientific Meeting 2007; October 2007; Illinois.