If you’re considering bariatric surgery, you may be wondering how this procedure will affect your life. It’s true that it’s a big decision, and you’ll need to discuss the pros and cons with your physician.
More and more studies are emerging about the results of bariatric surgery and how it can change lives. Specifically, weight-loss surgery helps severely overweight people lose excess weight and keep it off, alleviating many weight-related health problems. Following are some reasons you should feel confident about having this surgery done:
- Obesity is considered a disease – and for the severely obese (a BMI of 40 or more), bariatric surgery is an effective treatment. It has been shown to help many people lose more weight than lifestyle changes alone. And, you’re more likely to maintain that weight loss down the road. You’re doing something proven to treat this disease.
- You can improve your overall health. Bariatric surgery has been shown to improve type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and more obesity-related complications. Many of these conditions are difficult to treat with just diet and exercise in people who are battling obesity.
- Your weight loss will enable you to make healthier choices in the future. When you lose excess pounds, you may find physical activity to be easier. You’ll also be making healthy food choices on your special post-surgical diet. With these lifestyle changes, you’ll continue to see health benefits.
- You could save money on health care costs and medications. Your physician may lower your dosage of certain medications as your health problems improve. And with a healthier lifestyle and excess pounds gone, you may find you need fewer medications or medical tests. But remember, even when you start getting healthier, you will still need to see your physician as recommended for check-ups.
- You will get the surgery that’s just right for you. Bariatric surgery is not a one-size-fits-all method. There are a variety of surgeries that work in different ways. Your physician will talk with you about the benefits of each one and help you decide on the best choice.
With new evidence about obesity and how it can affect your health and life, it makes sense to explore all your options for treatment – including bariatric surgery. If you’re overweight and are struggling with your health, you owe it to yourself to find out if you are a candidate. Imagine living your life without those excess pounds holding you back. It is possible with bariatric surgery.
CarePoint Health Bariatric Surgery
CarePoint Health Center for Bariatric Surgery offers a number of different weight-loss surgeries to help you meet your weight-loss goals, including sleeve gastrectomy, and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, LAP-BAND®, and REALIZE® Band. To learn more about our bariatric surgery options, contact us at 201-795-8175 and register for our free seminar
Content on our website is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911. Always consult your physician before making any changes to your medical treatment.