Stroke Centers of CarePoint Health
Stroke affects people of all ages and ethnic groups. At CarePoint Health Stroke Centers, our goal is to provide the best possible stroke care for you and your family.
What is a Stroke?
Stroke causes the loss of blood and oxygen to the brain. This can be caused by a clot, which blocks the flow of blood through blood vessels leading to, or within the brain, or from bleeding in the brain. In a very short time, perhaps even a few minutes, this loss of oxygen can cause brain dysfunction. Unless the obstructing blood clot is removed quickly, the loss of oxygen may cause brain cells to die.
Some Facts About Stroke
- Stroke is the 4th leading cause of death and the leading cause of long term disability in the United States
- About 800,000 people will suffer a new or recurrent stroke each year
- Women account for 43 percent of strokes that occur each year, but they account for 62 percent of stroke deaths. Each year, stroke kills twice as many American women as breast cancer
- On average, every 45 seconds, someone in the United States has a stroke
- Over the course of a lifetime, four out of five American families will be touched by stroke (The Stroke Network)
- Stroke is preventable – if you know what to look for and get to the hospital as soon as possible
Common Signs of Stroke
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg – especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
Stroke Risk Factors:
What You Can Control
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Physical inactivity and obesity
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Sickle cell disease
- Atrial fibrillation
- Birth control pills
- Coronary artery disease or other heart disease
What You Can’t Control
- Age (over 55 – greater risk)
- Gender (male – greater risk)
- Heredity and race (African American – greater risk)
- Past history of stroke
What You Can Expect at CarePoint Health
The three hospitals, Bayonne Medical Center, Christ Hospital, and Hoboken University Medical Center, are certified as Primary Stroke Centers by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. We are available to treat patients who have a stroke 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The First Aid Squad members; Emergency Department nurses and doctors; as well as nursing and medical staff have been trained to recognize the signs of stroke.
Our specially trained staff of nurses and doctors will perform a comprehensive evaluation regarding your stroke signs and symptoms. Some stroke patients can be treated with thrombolytic medication (clot buster) that may reverse some of the signs and symptoms of stroke. The course of treatment is often determined by how quickly a patient can get to the hospital.
Our specially trained staff of doctors and nurses will work in conjunction with other various hospital departments — including Radiology, Laboratory, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Nutritional Support Services, and Social Services/Discharge Planning — to provide a plan of care to meet your individual needs. Depending on the severity of your stroke, you may be admitted to our telemetry or critical care/intensive care unit or transferred to another healthcare facility.
- Neurological evaluation to determine the severity of your stroke symptoms
- CT Scan and/or MRI
- Specialized laboratory tests
- Thrombolytic, clot-busting medicine (Alteplase, t-PA) after extensive evaluation of your eligibility
- Consultation with a Neurologist, Cardiologist, Stroke Program Coordinator and other specialists
- Swallow Screen by a specially trained RN and/or Swallow Evaluation by a Speech and Language Pathologist
- Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy
- Stroke Prevention Education
- Cardiac monitoring
- Case Management Discharge Planning
If you have any questions, please call the closest Primary Stroke Center.
IF YOU THINK YOU ARE HAVING A STROKE – CALL 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY
- Stroke Center at Bayonne Medical Center29 East 29th Street
Bayonne NJ 07002
- Stroke Center at Christ Hospital176 Palisade Avenue
Jersey City NJ 07306
- Stroke Center at Hoboken University Medical Center308 Willow Avenue
Hoboken NJ 07030