We want you to be healthy, wealthy, and wise, so we’re starting off each week with a Meatless Monday recipe courtesy of some of our amazing providers! This week: Emily Kim, MS, RD, CNSC.
This week I found an amazing vegetarian recipe for a Corn Quiche with Green Chiles and Green Onions. It’s a healthy and delicious way to enjoy a typically high calorie dish. Enjoy!
Savory Corn Quiche with Green Chiles and Green Onions
2 tsp Olive Oil
5 (about ½ cup) green onions, white and green parts, chopped
½ red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
One 7-oz can chopped green chilies, drained
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 large eggs
2 egg whites
1 ½ cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
2 T flour
1. Lightly oil an 8-inch square glass dish or 10-inch pie pan. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the green onions and red pepper,
and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and add the green chilies and corn. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and egg whites with soy or almond milk, salt, and pepper.
5. In a separate bowl, roll the cheese with the flour. Add the cheese mixture and the
corn mixture to the soy or almond milk mixture and stir to combine.
6. Pour into the prepared pan and bake on the center oven rack until the surface is puffed
and golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
7. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrient Analysis per serving:
Calories: 170; Total fat: 10g; Sat fat: 5g; Trans fat: 0g; Sodium: 576mg; Total carbohydrates: 10g; Dietary fiber: 2g; Protein: 11g.
From Today’s Dietitian February 2014, Vol. 16 No. 2, pp. 21-22
Come visit one of our amazing doctors who would love to meet you and chat about your health! Learn more about us at CarePoint Health.